Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Creating a duplex outlet from two 20A feeds

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 10:22:49 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 02:33:47 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 12:52:58 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:49:09 -0500, "Sherlock.Homes"
wrote:

Thanks! One side of the bridge tab seems a lot easier to bend out than the
other but if I muck it up I've got another.

Am I correct in assuming with a tandem breaker if one circuit pops, the
other is shut off even though it's still OK? Does a tandem breaker show
which circuit had the fault?

I'm beginning to see some advantages in bringing out the Sawzall and all the
rest of the tools it takes to add a new outlet to very old plaster-lathe
construction. double frown

SH

That is one advantage of using 2 single pole breakers, handle tied. If
you have one tripping you can remove the handle tie to isolate
although in most designs it will be apparent.
As I said before it is recommended in a box with multiple circuits but
not required as long as you are not sharing the neutral.

I like the Square D breakers for that because of the red indicator window.(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Square Monster

The problem is, with a tandem, there is only one flag so if you are
feeding two 120v circuits, you will not know which one tripped the
breaker.

If they are on one "spit" outlet it doesn't take long to figure it
out.