Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On 11/18/2016 10:35 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:05:58 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon
wrote:

I use gasoline as a home goo-gone substitute for removing labels.

If the base material can tolerate some heat, use a hot air heat gun:
"How to Remove Stickers and Labels Using Heat"
http://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/how-to-remove-stickers-and-labels-using-heat/

I don't know what kind of labels you're using, but the ones that I
have to remove from customers laptops uses easy to remove rubber
cement type glue, that is easily dissolved with almost any hydrocarbon
solvent. The trick is to let the solvent soak into the paper label or
soften the edge of a metal label. I think I use paint thinner.

However, I sometimes run into old labels where the glue has hardened
to something like a rock. For those, I mechanically scrape off most
of the label with a plastic razor blade paint scraper, and then attack
with the solvent.
https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Double-Edged-Razor-Scraper/dp/B004623NU2

Well, you could try using something that was actually formulated for
removing labels:
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, Quart, 08984
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZIM9XPI
Ouch. Rather expensive at $25/quart.
SDS shows interesting and noxious chemicals:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00x4xt9PxmxOv70k 17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--
Ingredient C.A.S. No. % by Wt
Xylene 1330-20-7 30 - 60 Trade Secret *
Hydrotreated Light Naphtha (Petroleum)
64742-49-0 30 - 60 Trade Secret *
Ethylbenzene 100-41-4 7 - 13 Trade Secret *
Toluene 108-88-3 0.5 - 1.5 Trade Secret *
Benzene 71-43-2 0.1 Trade Secret *
For naphtha, use Coleman camp fuel. Xylene and toluene are no longer
available in California, so those won't work.

There are made for purpose label removers, all of which really smell
awful. Goop-Off, Un-Du, Turtle Wax T-529, Goo-Gone, etc.

Then, there are the home concoctions:
https://www.pinterest.com/explore/remove-sticky-labels/

I remove the labels on some 3.5 gallon food grade buckets by cutting
paper towel the size of the label, lay it over the label and then put
just enough Xylene on the paper towel to wet it. I wait 5 minutes and
the label will peel off whole with no problem. Sometimes I need to use
the paper towel to remove residual glue.
Before I found that, I could spend a hour scraping off the label. now
I can get 20 done in less than an hour.
Mikek