Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bitrex Bitrex is offline

Default Headphone connector repair

Seems like it should be the easiest thing in the world, but I'm ashamed
to admit I'm having trouble with this.

The replacement headphone plug has three gold-plated terminals, and the
headphone lead has three enamel-coated wires coming out: if the plug is
oriented in the 12 o'clock position I have red to right, green to left,
gold to the center pin.

I sand down the wires, tin them, and then do my best to solder them up,
but the holes in the terminals are very small and I don't see as well
these days.

Unfortunately even when I think I've got all three wires making a solid
electrical connection to the terminals, I'm often getting only one
channel, or intermittent contact, or wires shorting against each other
somehow.

Any suggestions to improve my game here?