Posted to uk.d-i-y
Munch Munch is offline

Default Dash Cam (again)

Bill submitted this idea :
I'm thinking of upgrading the very cheap camera in the car after an incident
(now resolved) where a recording showing accurate time and place would have
been useful.

Looking on ebay, I see a few devices that feature wifi and GPS. I've looked
up datasheets of the Ambarella A7LA and Novatek chipsets that seem to be most
common, but on both GPS appears to be via a separate chipset and doesn't seem
to be integrated into the recorded video. So it looks as though the cameras
record pictures, but the GPS track is recorded separately.

Is this right? I've looked on Halfords site, but the ones they offer seem
similar, just more expensive. The present cams were both under a tenner, so
I'd really like to be way below 100.

Has anyone got a cheap camera that does integrated wifi and GPS? Is the wifi
and any laptop or Android software any good?

Considering that the main reason for these things is to provide
evidence, your priorities should be a good, clear picture in both
daylight and night-time, so 1080p recording rather than wifi and GPS.
I've got a Nextbase 402G and it is excellent. Like someone else said,
have a look on Youtube at Techmoan's reviews.