Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default RCD tripping with mains saw

Some rcds seem to be a bit sensitive. I have a plug in one on the lawn mower
and its fine but the strimmer trips it for no obvious reason.
Not being sure quite how they detect things when you can get double
insulated, no earth and earthed things to plug in and its still supposed to
work.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jack Lawson" wrote in message

Earlier this week I bought from Homebase a mitre saw:
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...s-2125u-389395

I had read reviews and seemed to fit my needs perfectly.
Got it home - and tested it. I found that when I started the saw, it
tripped
my RCD on the supply. Tested it further - sometimes it tripped -
sometimes
not. This was on initial start-up with no load.
Took it back - got a replacement.
The new one is just the same. About 1 in 10 of start-ups the RCD will
trip.
The saw seems perfect for my needs - very accurate mitres and 90 degree
cuts
are spot on - I think I will live with what for me is a minor problem -
but
thought I'd just share.