Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Dash Cam (again)

On 18/11/2016 19:02, Bill wrote:

I'm thinking of upgrading the very cheap camera in the car after an
incident (now resolved) where a recording showing accurate time and
place would have been useful.

GPS seems a lazy way of noting your position on the road since it is
only good to about 3m. I'm inclined to view it as a feature with limited
benefit that only serves to decrease standby lifetime.

Looking on ebay, I see a few devices that feature wifi and GPS. I've
looked up datasheets of the Ambarella A7LA and Novatek chipsets that
seem to be most common, but on both GPS appears to be via a separate
chipset and doesn't seem to be integrated into the recorded video. So it
looks as though the cameras record pictures, but the GPS track is
recorded separately.

I'd be more inclined to go with 1080 HD video and low light sensitivity
as the main priorities. Almost all of them have a quartz local clock
with date/time that is good to a few tens of seconds a month. That way
you have a better chance of reading number plates at greater distance or
having good footage of any wildlife that crosses your path.

The other good thing to have is the trigger on impact option when the
camera is in standby and some muppet drives into you in a carpark.

Is this right? I've looked on Halfords site, but the ones they offer
seem similar, just more expensive. The present cams were both under a
tenner, so I'd really like to be way below 100.

There are good ones (hardware wise) for around the £50 mark on Amazon
but the instruction manuals appear to have been translated out of
Sanskrit via Venusian and lost everything in the translation. You
basically have to experiment pressing different combos of buttons until
you hit upon the right key sequences to make it enter the right mode!

Has anyone got a cheap camera that does integrated wifi and GPS? Is the
wifi and any laptop or Android software any good?

Again I don't see Wifi as a priority - just another thing to shorten
battery life (and the standby battery life isn't all that generous).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown