Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Robert Bannon Robert Bannon is offline

Default How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:35:10 -0500, JC wrote:

You are the ****ing idiot that ALWAYS turns up at a wet bonfire arn't you.

This is a thinking question for scientists; not a nanny question.

Well if you really want to set fire to your house you can add denatured
alcohol, available in walmart but really, gasoline just stinks and I
wouldn't want it anywhere in my house. Garage is bad enough.

I think the methanol suggestion is probably best, but the problem is that
getting any alcohol in California is problematic.

Looking up "denatured alcohol" for Walmart this says the item is no longer
available:
Klean Strip Denatured Alcohol, 1qt, Walmart #: 001252149
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Str...l-1qt/17208795

Removing goop/labels.

1) Try WD40
2? Try WD40 and denatured alcohol combined.

I have never found WD-40 to be useful, and it stinks (to me) far worse than
does gasoline. It gives me a headache.

3) Dependent on what the goop is on and if its painted add a drop of
Acetone (also in Walmart) or use pure Acetone.

I have plenty of acetone but it doesn't work well on most of the goo (but it
works great on removing painted stuff on plastic). My kids use my shop
acetone as a fingernail polish remover and it works great for that too (but
dries their skin).

Acetone tends to melt far more stuff than did the gasoline.
As I said in the OP, I gave up on the acetone, but, I didn't think of using
it as the solution to cut the gasoline.

So I will try a small amount of 50:50 acetone to gasoline, which will be my
starter fluid.

4) Isopropyl alcohol 90% (Walmart) shifts stuff 1-3 wont.

Since rubbing alcohol didn't work in and of itself, I hadn't thought of
using it as the diluent, but it has the best chance of working.

So, I think I'll try out a 50:50 mix of rubbing alcohol and gasoline to see
how that works and then dilute further from there if it works well.

5) White spirit is almost as effective as gasoline, again add Acetone if
the subject wont be damaged.

It's problematic to get petroleum distillates in California, but they're
probably second only to the alcohol for cutting the gasoline. I will head
off to the hardware store to see what California spirits are still sold on
the shelves.

Don't use gasoline, it stinks and will blow up when your fag smoking
missus walks in.

What are you going to tell me when I tell you I actually use a chainsaw in
my back yard (without wearing leather pants!!!!!!!!!!!)?

Or that I actually climb up on a ladder or on my roof to clean the gutters
(without wearing an OSHA harness!!!!!!)?

Or that I actually light a fire inside my fireplace using actual matches and
wood tinder (without calling the Fire Department hotline ahead of time)?

Plus, you didn't even warn me about the gas going in my septic system!