George

Default Microwave interferes with AM radio

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
Jim Yanik wrote:
Only drawback I can think of is that the switching PS is more failure-
prone;more parts,more complexity= less reliability,and more

vulnerability
to surges on the mains.

Switching power supplies are notorious sources of birdies at every

harmonic
of their (not very high) operating frequency, even when there's been some
effort to suppress them in design. I doubt a microwave oven has much

suppression.

My old microwave oven had a strong arc and died. I replaced it with a
Panasonic which uses the "inverter" technology. They must have done
something clever to reduce noise from the switching power supply because
there is no noise on any of the nearby radios or cordless phones etc. The
oven also performs as advertised regarding thawing and cooking. Their claim
is that thawing is uniform and that the edges of food are not overcooked as
compared to an oven which uses PWM.

--
Ron Hardin