Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Cutting 12" Diam hole in blockwork wall

Wrote in message:
On Friday, 18 November 2016 13:58:00 UTC, jim wrote:
tabbypurr Wrote in message:
On Friday, 18 November 2016 09:37:35 UTC, jim wrote:
tabbypurr Wrote in message:
On Friday, 18 November 2016 01:02:48 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/11/2016 19:45, Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK chaps - suggestions please.

I need to cut a 12" diameter hole in a workshop wall construction of
which is a single skin of 9" x 18" x 4.5" 7 newton concrete blocks. Now
I've all sorts of drills, angle grinders, hammers and even demolition
breakers, so the problem isn't removing the material, the problem is
doing it without the wall collapsing !!!

12" is really not a large hole - old boiler flues were frequently as
large as this.

Stitch drill and break out the middle with a SDS would be one approach.

If you want a neater round hole, overlapping core drilling also works.

You may be able to hire core kit large enough to do it as a single core.

I suspect it'd be as cheap to rebuild the wall as hire the tool.

What price time & inconvenience?....

A 4" hand held core drill is about £60 a day from HSS. You can look up 12" if you want. I doubt it's worth it.

Ha! - More guesswork from "Not Tried Nige" then :-)

No, that was from HSS Hire.

Though I do think your "dust free, wide slot angle grinding
through concrete" idea needs pursuing, assuming you didn't
imagine all that as well?

;-)

I doubt anyone has ever claimed angle grinding masonry to be dust free. I certainly haven't. But I can confidently claim you have the mentality of a primary school child.

NT

God you are still utterly boring and predictable nige, but hey
let's review this thread's gems of your ****wittery...

with an angle grinder" advocation....

JimK :-Faster than a drill until you clean all the resulting mess up..

Who said:-
NoNowtNige:- "So another job you've never done."

Have I cut concrete blocks with an angle grinder? Of course I have.

Have *you* really ever done it nige? How did you control the
incredible amounts of dust this method clearly & numb****ingly
obviously makes nige?

Indeed I think primary school kids will be able to think through
problems and generate solutions better than you can imagine in
your smelly old armchair, even though you claim to have all the T
shirts - saddo!

;-)
--
Jim K