Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Rental Cars Without Toll Transponders

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 06:14:04 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Does anyone know what actually happens if you go through a "transponder only"
toll station in a rental car without a transponder?

On a recent vacation in CA, I found myself approaching the Golden Gate Bridge
in an Enterprise rental. There are no toll collectors on this bridge, only
transponder lanes.

After I got home, I read the rules found here but I was already well beyond
the "pay within 48 hours" time frame.

http://goldengate.org/tolls/rentalto...php#enterprise

I'm considering calling Enterprise discuss this, even though I am well
beyond the mailing of the violation letter that I assume went to Enterprise.
I just figured I'd run the question by the ng first to see if anyone has some
real life experience/advice for this type of situation.

Thanks.

You get a message from the rental car company but they have already
billed your credit card. There is a significant service fee. Happened
to me on the bypass in Denver. That little short cut to the airport
cost me over $30. (maybe more like $40) I know I was pretty unhappy
but what are you going to do?
"Toll by plate" costs you about 2.5x the price of the transponder toll
here in Florida too. I still do not use toll roads enough to justify a
transponder but I did escrow some money in a TBP account that cuts the
billing fee. I would be surprised that the rental company doesn't do
that and still charge you the whole fee, along with a service charge.
They are notorious for adding extra charges to that bargain rate they
advertise.