Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Default Auto dimmer for LEDs

I have slung together a lash up using a voltage reg to give a soft start
and a simple RC for the fade out. With a small tungsten, it gives a pretty
good fade in and out. With a LED, it exhibits the effect I noted. It sort
of comes on at about half brightness then fades up to full. It fades out
perfectly. Almost as if the LED had a 'strike' current.

I still think you need to PWM it to get the effect you want, simple
voltage control is unlikely to achieve that.