Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD tripping with mains saw

On 18/11/16 12:02, Jack Lawson wrote:

Earlier this week I bought from Homebase a mitre saw:
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...s-2125u-389395

I had read reviews and seemed to fit my needs perfectly.
Got it home - and tested it. I found that when I started the saw, it tripped
my RCD on the supply. Tested it further - sometimes it tripped - sometimes
not. This was on initial start-up with no load.
Took it back - got a replacement.
The new one is just the same. About 1 in 10 of start-ups the RCD will trip.
The saw seems perfect for my needs - very accurate mitres and 90 degree cuts
are spot on - I think I will live with what for me is a minor problem - but
thought I'd just share.

check for earth neutral sorts.

In whatever its plugged into

Staring current on electric motors can be very high, and if some of that
isn't going back down the neutral...

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly