Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Auto dimmer for LEDs

In article ,
wrote:
Did you miss the bit where newer cars manage it with LEDs?

No. At the risk of stating the obvious if an analogue fade circuit
starts & stops at half power there's a good chance it can be modded by
changing a set point.

I don't know what the start point is. All I know is it did what looked to
be a perfect fade up and fade down with tungsten.

There isn't really any useful answer to your question unless you can
find a stand alone retrofit module or you post the schematic.

Very unlikely to find a schematic of such a proprietary part. But do have
the connections to it from the car wiring diagram.

I have slung together a lash up using a voltage reg to give a soft start
and a simple RC for the fade out. With a small tungsten, it gives a pretty
good fade in and out. With a LED, it exhibits the effect I noted. It sort
of comes on at about half brightness then fades up to full. It fades out
perfectly. Almost as if the LED had a 'strike' current.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.