Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Cutting 12" Diam hole in blockwork wall

Andrew Mawson wrote:

OK chaps - suggestions please.

I need to cut a 12" diameter hole in a workshop wall construction of which
is a single skin of 9" x 18" x 4.5" 7 newton concrete blocks. Now I've all
sorts of drills, angle grinders, hammers and even demolition breakers, so
the problem isn't removing the material, the problem is doing it without the
wall collapsing !!!

Current plan is drilling a circle of (say) 1/2" holes with a masonry drill
and wiggling it from both sides to hopefully join them up without disturbing
the rest of the structure. (I'll probably select a spot where the hole is
fully bridged by an 18" block - position within a few inches doesn't matter.

Any other constructive suggestions very welcome.

(this is for a huge 3900 cuM/Hour extractor for a CNC plasma table down
draught exhaust)

Andrew

Should be fine unless the 'lintel' block cracks or moves. Even if it
does, it should be possible to re-mortar and replace as necesary the
blociks above the hole without actually needing to support the wall.
Unless there is a huge load on it, which would be a bit odd for a single
block wall.

--

Roger Hayter