Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is anyone as annoyed as me with Amazon?

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
Again -- they think that you can walk into a store and look --
and don't take into account that you may not be in the same country.

Don, I don't think that's it at all. Amazon is huge. I believe they are
now the world's largest retailer. Large enough that they have distribution
centers in most regions of the world, and multiples in larger
(geographically) countries for logistical reasons. They face local legal,
logistical, and cultural issues just like a locallly owned business in many
regions of the world. They are very much aware of where there customers are
buying from.

I think its an expansion of an old bit of sales wisdom. If you give the
"average" customer to much information to process you lose the sale. They
can't decided. Its like offering your customer to many options. They walk
away to think about it. I grew up in retail and learned that lesson first
hand when showing customers bits of merchandise from behind the behind the
counter or in the display cases. If you just show them what they ask to see
you more often make the sale. Sure you might upsell them for a larger sale
if you show them something nicer, but the percentages say you will lose more
than you gain if you give them to much to process.

Its not universal of course. Technical customers want to know the specs,
pros, and cons of an item, but Amazon is not geared to the technical
customer. They are geared to the average customer.

\