Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default What I learned from my Dad

I remember my Dad making a # telescope out of the mirror from a tv projector
light box. It was rather impractical, as the mirror was about a foot across
but was almost 3 quarters of an inch thicksurface silvered lead glass. Very
heavy for mounting anywhere. It was hard to find a lens for the eyepiece as
the curvature of the mirror must have been not a true parabola. Bit like the
issue with the Hubble only smaller!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
My Dad who is now 95 used to fix Spitfire engines after WWII as he was
trained by RR.

As a fireman in civvy street, he built me a 8.5'' reflector out of plywood
that he made into a telescope, plus an observatory and motor drive for it, a
garage and extension bedroom on top all wired in and with a fire sprinker.

https://goo.gl/maps/5ap1QeBts6u

He could tune 4 pot bike engines by ear with a screwdriver held to it and he
rebuilt his Alfasud boxer by hand after wrecking it by redlining it.

He tried to teach me about engine maintenance, but my scientific mind was
more into Astronomy, Physics and Chemistry where I made my 40 year "career",
but bits of his talent have been passed on thankfully which I now employ
around the place.

Not his woodworking skills though.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxdUVBuWgAA2cVd.jpg