Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Mason Simon Mason is offline

Default What I learned from my Dad

My Dad who is now 95 used to fix Spitfire engines after WWII as he was trained by RR.

As a fireman in civvy street, he built me a 8.5 reflector out of plywood that he made into a telescope, plus an observatory and motor drive for it, a garage and extension bedroom on top all wired in and with a fire sprinker.

https://goo.gl/maps/5ap1QeBts6u

He could tune 4 pot bike engines by ear with a screwdriver held to it and he rebuilt his Alfasud boxer by hand after wrecking it by redlining it.

He tried to teach me about engine maintenance, but my scientific mind was more into Astronomy, Physics and Chemistry where I made my 40 year €ścareer€ť, but bits of his talent have been passed on thankfully which I now employ around the place.

Not his woodworking skills though.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxdUVBuWgAA2cVd.jpg