Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 13:48:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Actually I fell back on the hand lettering guideline rules I learned
in Drafting and created my own grids, since I couldn't imitate the
300DPI dot placement and they used a different set of tricks like a
tiny dot outside the curve to change its appearance. I had to
account
for the molten ink dots wicking larger or running together before
they
solidified.

And then you had to tell the driver whether or not it was a glossy
(clay-coated) paper, regular copy paper, or newsprint, etc.

That machine would print its molten plastic ink sharply on a textured
paper towel; we tried a lot of strange things to impress the
investors. We also hand-fed it clear acetate and sheet metal, in fact
it could color-separate aluminum offset printing plates. Braille was
possible though not very satisfactory. That led directly to 3D
printing with a more suitable mechanism and less brittle ink.