Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tubes in broken spotwelder & other questions

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 12:06:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Please note the interpolations:

That's it, I'm convinced. I'm gonna order the caps from JustRadio.
They are the correct rating for voltage and capacitance, different
connections-not screws, but big tabs instead. Easily soldered to the
bus bars. I have been thinking about those big bus bars and am
wondering if the size is either for mechanical reasons or lower
resistance reasons.

Both. Mechanical as this machine moves, vibrates and is subject to various stresses thereby. And, consider that the shop I worked in a _long_ time ago used their welder two 10-hour shifts in a row, about 2 days per week. That is a lot of welds.

Electrical as the enemy of these machines is heat. Heat increases resistance which can throw off settings - and with 0.003 inconel pimple washers the difference between the weld not taking and a burn-through isn't much, and on aircraft and/or nuclear rated parts that is unacceptable.

I can't see the original caps dumping enough
current to need such robust bars. Especially considering the relay
contacts connected to the cap bank and the much lighter wires running
from the bus bars and relay to the xmfr. Lemme know if you have all
the tubes and I'll send a check.

You will have to wait into the weekend for me to get an edgewise to check my stock. Our youngest cat (3 years old, 18 pound Maine Coon mix) has just discovered that he can use the dog door. So, my primary task is to cat-proof the dog yard so he may go outside, but not any further. We may be suburban, but we have foxes, raccoons, other cats and cars to contend with.

As to sending a check, that is not how it works. If I have the tubes, I will send them to you - and then *if* they work out, you may send the check.

Peter Wieck
Melrose p