Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Novel soldering technique

In article ,
wrote:
Me too then... no amount of soldering to the case is going to
move the tracks on the PCB to that side!

I've read Mr Purr's comment again and still don't get it. ;-)

The iron is being held against the case. There's no possibility that
could ever solder the leads, you'd have to destroy the cap to ever
get the leads hot enough that way. But you could possibly solder a
wire to the case of the cap where the iron bit is. Why you'd do so is
another question... but it's physically possible.

Actually I think I did do that once, in my early years. Parts cost
real money then, and one had a lead snapped completely off.

I think we understood that you could solder to the can. The question
was what use that was going to be with the PCB tracks on the other
side of the board?

(or are you suggesting you solder a wire to the can, route that to the
obverse, and then solder to a track?)

I wouldn't suggest doing any of it. Just pointing out that in theory one
can solder that way.

Odd theory. I'm sure we've all come across situations where it would be
good to be able to replace a component without dismantling to get at the
solder side - and you *might* be able to with a resistor etc with exposed
leads. But not with a cap like that, sadly.

Well if its not too tight onto the board you can usually get slim
cutters or a knife under it and shear the legs off. Then solder the new
cap to the legs. Makes some sense for smoothing caps on boards with
heavy heat plane or power vias which can be very difficult to desolder
from in the conventional way.

--
Cheers,

John.