Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
robobass[_2_] robobass[_2_] is offline

Default Is anyone as annoyed as me with Amazon?

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 9:54:26 PM UTC+1, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 08:43:03 -0800 (PST), robobass
wrote:

This may be less of a problem in the USA, but I live in Germany, where there is no Harbor Freight, McMaster, or MSC, so I am especially reliant on Ebay (which is actually pretty good at picking up the slack) and Amazon. Amazon is so poor at describing their wares, however, that I find it ludicrous. I need a wide aluminum dustpan for the shop, for example. The choices on Amazon give me neither the size, nor a way to contact the seller to ask. They offer to forward my question to other customers. WTF? I've even been queried on products I've ordered but didn't yet arrive. "What is the volume of that spray bottle?" Are you freakin' kidding me? Shouldn't something like that be in the description? And, how much faith should you have in another customers' answer? I think I will answer: 25 liters. Moving out of shop stuff, I wanted to buy a shoulder travel bag. There are never photos of accessories like this on a person or even a dummy, so even with some basic dimensions, you can't get a
good idea of what you are buying.

Ebay, on the other hand, has been my salvation, I like Klingspor sandpaper, for example. Even though it is made here, if you call them, they will refer you to a seller in your area. If the seller doesn't stock what you want, then tough luck. Now there are Ebay sellers out there who will provide me with the products I want, and at a good price! And this goes for anything from rubber gloves to carbide endmills.

I don't understand Amazon's reasoning for this practice, but it is certainly a strategy. It's nice that they deliver so fast and take back what you don't want, but why ship you stuff that you wouldn't have ordered in the first place had they described it properly? And, why forgo the sales on products I didn't order because I didn't have enough information?

You need abrasives?

Best supplier Ive ever found

http://www.barbkat.com/

---

Barbkat. Never heard of them. They are not far from where I grew up!