Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Amazon prices

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 06:53:42 -0600, CRNG
wrote:

When I started shopping at Amazon in 1999, I quickly came to believe
that their prices were very good. For the past year or so, I've been
feeling that their prices can no longer be taken for granted as
generally being lower. Here's a recent example:

Here's a GPS I'm thinking of getting from WalMart for $100
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-nu...d-GPS/49574318

It's $115 at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01...uvi+57lm&psc=1

Anybody else noticing this Amazon price-creep?

Story and Video -- _Secrets Of Online Shopping Discrimination_

"MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Most people think you can usually find a better
deal when you shop online.

But the price you see can be different than what other people see. The
type of computer you use, your online search history, even your zip
code have all been used by online retailers to determine what price
you pay.

In a study conducted by researchers at Northeastern University in
Boston, nine out of 16 online retailers and travel websites tested
showed different prices or difference results for the same searches.

Based on their findings, Wilson said they found cases of “price
discrimination” and “price steering”"

[...]

"Computer security expert says to hide your identity when shopping
online use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). You can download some VPN
services for free. Better ones will cost around $20-30 a year."

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/11/14/secrets-of-online-shopping-discrimination/