Posted to uk.d-i-y
Syd Rumpo[_2_] Syd Rumpo[_2_] is offline

Default Novel soldering technique

On 15/11/2016 14:12, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 15/11/2016 13:36, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 13:26:37 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
I had to laugh:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+christm...S?promo=DK7118

That ain't gonna work ;-)

(even if you ignore the cap in the space silk screened for Q1!)

Brilliant. ;-)

But the very idea of using a gas flame type iron on a PCB fills me with
horror. Perhaps for an emergency repair in the field - but to build a
project as in that pic?

I thought soldering to the top of the board rather than the underneath
was the worse error. We use a hot air gun to solder and desolder some
things but never a flame.

It looks similar to a gas-powered iron I had as a field engineer years
ago: the flame heated some sort of catalyst behind the tip, so no flame
gets near the work. You still needed to be careful with it- only good
for emergency use (and for shrinking heatshrink).

Actually, the gas burns without a flame. The catalyst lowers the
reaction temperature to below the ignition temperature, or something
roughly like that.

Cheers
--
Syd