meirman

Default Thermostat Wiring

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 01 Aug 2003 17:04:11 "HvacTech2"
posted:

Hi 'nuther, hope you are having a nice day

On 01-Aug-03 At About 09:01:39, 'nuther Bob wrote to All
Subject: Thermostat Wiring

'B From: 'nuther Bob

'B On Thu, 01 Aug 2003 05:16:08 , "HvacTech2"
'B wrote:

'B If only it were that simple, but of course it isn't. by doing
'B what he wants to do the A/C would run at the same time which could
'B easily damage his compressor. and no, I do not give answers so
'B someone can damage their system.

'B Yeah, but he posted this in a followup:

'B "What I actually want to do is put in a second On/Auto switch for the
'B fan - in parallel with the existing switch. (Don't ask why.) One
'B side of the new switch should be wired to the green wire terminal.
'B The other side of the new switch wired to what???"

'B So, he's got a fan switch already. All he has to do is mimic that
'B switch.

Sorry you are wrong. I of course cannot see what he has but most thermostats
use a Y to G internal connection inside to run the fan when the A/C comes on.

I think the terminology here might be a problem. On the thermostats
I've used, if you turn the fan switch to ON**, the fan runs whether
the A/C is on or not. The A/C might be enabled***, but unless the
house is hot enough that the the temperature setting is lower than the
house temperature at the thermostat, and the compressor is running, I
don't think most of us would say that the A/C has "come on".

***I"m not sure the industry term for this, but I mean by "enabled"
that the A/C is ready to run as soon as the house is hot enough to
cause the thermal switch to turn it on. What is the industry term for
this? **Peter is trying to duplicate the ON setting for the fan
switch, not the AUTO setting.

To us, it's hard to understand when you say it runs the fan when the
A/C comes on, if it runs the fan all the time.

If there is an internal connection from the G to the Y, which is the
primary cool call relay, what would happen if that internal connection
was broken and the thermal part of the thermostat was relied on to
turn on the compressor? Would not the fan either stay on all the time
if the switch were in the ON position, or go on when it should if in
the Auto position?

if you parallel that, whenever you run the new switch you will run the A/C
and damage it.

Do you mean, because even though the fan and compressor are on,
eventually the house will be as cold as the A/C can make it, but it
will keep running? Would that damage it?

If you mean that would damage it, what happens if I use my current
thermostat and set my A/C on and my thermostat to 33 degrees, and my
fan on AUTO or ON?

Even without modifying the thermostat, how come we don't damage our
A/C's when we have the A/C-Heat switch set to OFF and the Fan switch
set to AUTO or ON?

Or when we have the A/C-Heat switch set to A/C, the thermostat set to
100 degrees (or anything hotter than what the house is), and the Fan
switch set to AUTO or ON?

Can we damage our A/C just by setting the thermostat to settings we
don't always use?

-= HvacTech2 =-

.. "Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect."- s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92รก+[DM]
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.