D-

Default Hvac question, do I clean the evaporator if I have access toit?

CMF wrote:

I recently discovered a rather significant cold air loss in my attic due to a shoddy
job of evaporator replacement a few years ago. No telling how much money I
have thrown down the drain cooling my attic!

I'm up there doing some cleanup and a little sheet metal work to
seal this beast off again, I wonder if I should do anything to clean the
evaporator while I am in there? I can't tell how dirty it is because
it was kind of frosty, but I have turned the unit off and will go check shortly.

If I do clean it, what should I use? Want to hear from experts, and know I should hire a
professional to do this, I'm not completely inept, however I am completely broke.

The evaporator coil should not have frost on it! It is DIRTY and/or LOW
airflow heat load on it!
All of the lint and scum will be on the air intake side of the coil.
Check to see of the blower wheel blades are dirty!
Use a good evaporator coil cleaning fluid.
Take the blower out and clean the blower too. -D

--
Get the Cooling Capacity and Efficiency you Paid for -
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...city-seer.html