Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Old loft conversion/refurb

On 15/11/2016 08:16, wrote:

Hi. I'm considering buying a house to refurb and sell on. The roof is
knackered and the ceilings of the 80s/90s loft conversion will need
to come down and be replaced.

Am I obliged to fit current building regs spec insulation in the void
between roof and ceiling, or can I refit to same specification as
before? I'm concerned that I might lose some headroom if a whacking
great thick layer of insulation is needed.

If changing a significant amount of a "thermal element", then yes the
change is supposed to be to current standards. However firstly note that
the insulation requirements for a loft conversion are lower than for
other circumstances, and that a pragmatic stance is usually taken but
BCOs etc, so if you are making things better rather than worse, they are
not going to insist you do the impossible.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |