Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old loft conversion/refurb

On 15/11/16 08:16, wrote:
Hi. I'm considering buying a house to refurb and sell on. The roof is knackered and the ceilings of the 80s/90s loft conversion will need to come down and be replaced.

Am I obliged to fit current building regs spec insulation in the void between roof and ceiling, or can I refit to same specification as before? I'm concerned that I might lose some headroom if a whacking great thick layer of insulation is needed.

Cheers.

Terry.

If you are essentially rebuilding the roof, why not make the new roof
slightly bigger and design in insulation to current specs? (Which I am
fairly certain the BCO will require in a job of this type).

If you were merely retiling, he's almost certainly let you off with
something "reasonable" but not to current specs - mine did. I proposed
100mm celotex where possible and 75mm where unfeasible (right down at
the eaves) and it was accepted.