Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default Tubes in broken spotwelder & other questions

On 15/11/16 12:45, whit3rd wrote:
On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 2:44:55 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I found 220 mfd 450 caps at JustRadio.com. I'm not sure if these will
discharge fast enough.

For a welding purpose, 100l milliseconds is very fast (no functioning
capacitor you are likely to find would have too high ESR for this job).

I agree that the speed doesn't matter, but low ESR caps have wiring that
will survive higher currents. No sense having a whopping cap
with internally-fused connections.

I also have a bench-top spot welder, from my father who was an
orthodontist. It has a 110V input (so we needed a transformer
from 240V), and that feeds via a small Variac into a selenium
rectifier. I suspect the caps need replacing (again - they were
last done 25 years ago) and I have a bunch of 300V photoflash
caps from disposable cameras that I hope will suffice.

The welding contacts are an anvil and an upper contact connected
to the foot pedal, via an adjustable pressure-operated switch
that fires the contacter. That leaves both hands free to hold and
position the work. When you press down hard enough, the thing
fires, very cute.

What I don't know is how to determine the maximum energy I can
dump through the output transformer without saturating it.
Anyone know how I can tell (other than just keeping the
capacitance below the original value)?

Clifford Heath.