Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

In sci.electronics.repair, on Mon, 14 Nov 2016 17:59:35 -0800 (PST),
whit3rd wrote:

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 4:40:07 PM UTC-8, Robert Bannon wrote:
I want to fix a half dozen or more 120VAC (USA) extension cords, all with
molded on connectors, both male and female by putting on something like

You're going to cut off the good connectors that are on there now? Are
these cords UL approved? If so, the connectors are as good as the wires
between them, so if you replace the connectors and not the wires the
wires will become or remain the weak link.

Add to that the possibillty that you'll nick the copper when putting the
connector on, or do something else that will make your installation less
than perfect.

Why do you thihk the current connectors are not good enough? Are you
running the cords higher than their rating? How do you know that the
connectors won't take the higher load but the wires between them will?

Not only that, if you step on the hard ones, I think you're more likely
to twist your ankle than with the molde-on ones, and if you drive over
one, I think you can break it, but not the molded on ones.

this:
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/De...0-403_HR_0.jpg

I'd like to replace them with those big fat meaty ones like those you see in
a hospital.
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/...ger/5A076_AS01

Googling, they're pretty expensive at $20 to $40 each!

You can get them cheaper, but 'hospital quality' implies lots of testing, including
guaranteed how-hard-they-hold-when-you-pull. There's lots of 'industrial' that's
just as rugged (and cheaper).

Yes, I think hospital quality includes what they pay for insurance in
case they burn down a hospital with 50 people too sick to get out in
time. (Plus all the expensive hospital electronics.)

When they burn down a normal factory, especially if it starts aas a
fire, usually everyone can get out. (Not sure about the hardware.)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hubbell-15-Amp-125-Volt-Black-White-3-Wire-Plug/3739267