Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default RCA P60928 convergence

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 6:01:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 10:38:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Looking for how to get into the menu for fine adjustment of convergence on a rca P60908. Thank Ted

I have the procedure, but I don't like folks running around in the service menu. This TV was very well designed but one parameter bumped too far and out she goes.

Later versions of the 195 had a limited point to point convergence in the customer menu. This was very similar to the service menu procedure but wouldn't allow you to play deep in the corners in order to avoid overstressing the conv outputs. See if your model has this.

I still want to know why he wants in there. There are only so many reasons, as you most probably know. they do not just drift. Is it just one color ? If so, beat around the convergence board for loose connections and if anything moves, solder it. If it is two colors, look into the main chassis geometry. If it is all three colors then does it have pincushion distortion ? I so the convergence PS is not starting and that is because of a rectifier and filter on there, and many times that failure is a coolant leak. Sometimes though it is just a filter cap. That source runs off the flyback IIRC and that is the only place they could have tapped it off because the main SMPS runs all the time.

I agree, no divulging such information unless they demonstrate they are either a tech that understands not to try to adjust out a problem or at least someone who can comprehend it. And I still want a reason why. THEY DO NOT DRIFT !

Actually if you remember, NAP eventually gave the customer much more multipoint convergence control. And they would try to adjust out faults related to the STKs, some of them did't just short out. (remember those ? you just unplug that one plug and hear HV and you knew what it was)But after the repair I saw all kinds of things people did, fortunately they provided a factory restore and that usually fixed whatever damage they did to the data. Those RCAs had no such feature. Let that be a lesson in trepidation to this person. You can't just come in here asking for that. I do not prefer to help people screw things up.

Know what you NEVER want to tell anyone, even a competent tech ? How to get into a Pioneer. Those menus are so unfriendly I left them alone whenever possible. I fact I left them all alone if possible. None of this stuff drifts. Greyscale maybe but still on some units forget even that.