Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Best and Worst brands of Circuit Breakers

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 16:40:00 -0500, wrote:

I'm asking this because I have numerous panels on my farm in different
buildings. I have Square D, Homeline, and Cutler Hammer. Unfortunately I
also have a FPE panel, which has never been a problem, but based on poor
reports, I intend to replace it soon. (I'm considering keeping the metal
enclosure and just replacing the innards, if I can make them fit, to
eliminate the hassle of ripping out walls, making the steel service
entrance conduit fit, and so on.....). But that may or may not be
possible, since the cover needs to fit the breakers!

Cuttler Hammer (Challenger) makes retro fit kits listed for a number
of existing enclosures.
The breaker with the worst reputation is the FPE stab locks. I know
CPSC was all over them but I am not sure U/L ever tried to pull the
listing. The same situation exists with the Ideal 65 wire nut.

Is there some place to locate these Cutler Hammer retro-fit kits? (as in
website, or by phone). It would be a lot easier to just change the
innards. The box itself dont matter, it's just a metal box.

What is wrong with Ideal 65 wirenuts? I never heard anything about that.
Can you shed more light on this. I've always used whatever wirenut came
my way, thinking they were all the same on the inside, just looked a
little different on the outside....