Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default RCA P60928 convergence

Oh boy, that's a blast from the past.

First a couple of comments after I tell you - I do not remember it all. First of all it is a very good point to point system. Second of all I would NEVER give this info out back when these things were being serviced still because they are very stable and you usually never have to touch them unless you change a CRT. (or possibly the whole convergence unit due to a coolant leak) So therefore you need to tell me WHY you need to do this. Did you change a CRT ? Did you transplant a projection box into a different cabinet ? Did you change te convergence module ?

WARNING - these things save settings on the fly. If you discover it is not responding correctly aqnd you did something wrong there is NO going back even if you unplug it. Unnastand ?? If it does not respond correctly that makes it harder to fix because as you do the actual repair you do not know if you have it fixed or not.

And to even do it you need an original remote or a select few universals (RCA from that era) or you simply cannot. newer RCA remotes even for the older newer ones won't do it.

Oh, and one other reason to do it is if you replaced the flyback with an aftermarket part, they have shorter retrace time and affect geometry, specifically the horizontal width. In that case, stay out of the convergence and just adjust the chassis width until the vertical lines converge at the sides.. That is easier even though you have a different problem - the main service menu is not labelled. You need the list of parameters. Otherwise you are liable to change something you do not want to change. I don't remember how many there are but there are enough not to memorize. I could determine it o the fly, by adjusting each one and returning it to its original parameter, which they give you on the right side. On the left you get "P:_" which is the parameter, on the right you get "V:_" which is the numerical value of that parameter. Those also save on the fly.

Tell e why you need to adjust this and I will search my PC for the files, if I even still have them. But I can retrieve quite a bit from memory.

Those things are a fantastic design, if they had not been obsoleted by flat screens ad those eljunko LCDs and DLPs they would be worth putting money into today. Their only big problem is the power supply on the main chassis. When the main chopper blows it takes out so many (SMD)parts it is simply not worth it. I have actually cut the PC board in that area and inserted a PS from another unit, which is actually not all that hard but has to be done right. You have to know where to cut.

So, what is the symptom/situation ?