Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Damn Olson blades.

On 11/12/2016 9:17 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/12/16 6:41 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 11/12/2016 6:56 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/12/16 1:04 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/11/2016 7:13 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
doesn't look like it is aligned correctly. The running
bearing isn't turning at all. No touch.

Not necessary, a good blade and a good band saw do not need
guides at all.

+100points!!! I've re-sawed 8" on my old Delta without any guides
at all. Co-planer wheels, good tension, and a sharp, true blade are
much more important than guides. I would go so far as to say
guides were invented to make up for crappy manufacturing and lazy
woodworkers who don't take the time to set up their saws.

I would never try that. When you push on a blade it wants to bend
back, if it does it wants to change direction.. At least that's what
I believe to be true... so guides for me... BUT, I'll test a 2x6 when
I get new blade.

I stand by what I wrote.
After much research and experimentation, that's what I came to witness
as true.
Co=planer wheels. Proper tension. High quality, sharp & true blade
(proper for intended purpose, as well!).

I will add that it is helpful to figure out the drift (if any) on each
blade to get the cutting to run straight and true. With those things
being attained, the guides are pretty much irrelevant.

How do you avoid pushing the blade off the wheels?
I have pulled the blade off when backing out on 2 occassions... so how
does the blade stay.. you would need to push absolutely perfect to make
sure cut and feed rate are perfect. Not so easy.

It may have worked for you, but I am reluctant to try it.

--
Jeff