Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tubes in broken spotwelder & other questions

All,
I know almost nothing about tubes(AKA valves). My son bought a
capacitor discharge spotwelder that uses tubes. It doesn't work. Parts
of it do but on the whole it appears that it doesn't charge the caps.
There are three types of tubes in the thing.
3 each OA2WA voltage regulators
2 each 2D21 thyratrons
1 each 5U4GB rectifier
There are also 6 each physically large electrolytic caps that are,
I believe, rated for 450 volts. They are made by Sprague and are
marked 200-450. No uf markings though. Apparently a couple rattle when
shaken-probably not a good sign.
There are two transformers. The first has many taps and the second
is connected through a relay to the bank of caps. The secondary of
this xmfr is the spotwelder output.
As near as I can tell the circuit basically operates like so: The
first xmfr provides 450 volts AC which goes through the 5U4GB tube to
be rectified and then through three OA2WA tubes which are connected
in series. From there the power goes to the cap bank and charges the
caps. And from the caps through a big relay to the output xmfr.
The OA2WA tubes have only two of the pins connected. So power goes
in one pin and then out the other to the next OA2WA tube and so on. It
looks like there is no output from the last tube in the series. So
maybe this is why the caps won't charge.
At least one 2D21 thyratron seems to work because the relay that
connects the cap bank works when the machine is triggered.
I would like to know how to test the tubes without a tube tester.
Maybe this means I will need to make a tester. I also would like to
know how to test the big caps. My meter has a cap test function but it
doesn't seem to work with these big caps. Maybe this is because the
caps are high voltage types. Is it (fairly) safe to attempt charging
the caps with line voltage (120 volts) by first rectifying and then
passing the current through a resistor and then to the caps?
Here is a link to pics my son took of the guts of the spotwelder:
https://goo.gl/photos/LF4JKeGyA4YWiCwv9
Any comments about the spotwelder would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric