Jim Yanik

Default Microwave interferes with AM radio

wrote in
:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:36:41 GMT, "George"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On 1 Aug 2003 18:37:44 GMT,
(Tom Bach)
wrote:

TOM KAN PA ) writes:
We have a Panasonic 1300W microwave oven. It causes a tremendous
amount

of
static in weak (5000W) AM radio stations. Even on a battery
operated

portable
playing in the other end of the house. Is this an indication of a

problem with
the microwave, or it's normal, is there a trap, or something that
can

be done
to eliminate the interference?

Sounds like leakage, usually around the door. Use the portable
radio as a detector, put the oven on low power, the radio tuned
away from a station, and move it all around the oven, esp. the
edges of the door. If it's the

door,
it's either not closing properly, or food particles are preventing
a good seal.

Why low power? Microwave Ovens actually only have one "power" - the
lower settings merely cycle the Magnatron on and off. You should
never run a microwave while empty, in any case. Put a bowl of water
in it.

BB

Some newer designs don't use PWM and are actually variable power.

Really? Please tell me where I can find out more about this.

Thanks,
BB

Panasonic Inverter technology.They use a switching power supply to generate
the voltage for the Magnetron,and can vary the output DC voltage,thus
changing the power the tube generates.This also eliminates an expensive
iron core transformer,and reduces the weight of the oven.

Try the Panasonic website for info on this.

Only drawback I can think of is that the switching PS is more failure-
prone;more parts,more complexity= less reliability,and more vulnerability
to surges on the mains.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me