Travis Jordan

Default Thermostat Wiring

HvacTech2 wrote:
Hi Travis, hope you are having a nice day

On 01-Aug-03 At About 07:44:17, Travis Jordan wrote to All
Subject: Thermostat Wiring

From: "Travis Jordan"

Trevor Lowe wrote:
Here's the question one more time: What two wires and their

standard corresponding colors would one person/one thermostat/one
HVAC tech have to short/connect together/work magic on to make
that wonderful fan motor begin to turn??

The answer must be in this format to be acceptable:

Black and Red.

Assuming standard wiring conventions were followed, the answer is:

Greeen and Red.

Although the original question indicated that we should not ask why
he wants to do this, I think we should point out that any external
wiring to the thermostat should be appropriated fused in order to
protect the HVAC equipment.

There is a lot more to it than this. the G is connected to the Y
internally on most thermostats. and jumpering these out will cause
the A/C to run which will damage the compressor.

-= HvacTech2 =-

The poster indicated that his thermostat has the 'fan on' only feature.

Also, remember that his original post said:

"The thermostats in my house are connected to the HVAC units in the
basement via a 5 conductor cable. Yellow, green, white, red, blue."

We're assuming that the appearance of a (G) - fan relay wire means that
it is functional, and also that he is smart enough to know that the
current configuration does work to allow him to run the fan only (after
all, that is what he is planning on doing with his new control system).

Besides, even if G and Y were connected together, so what? If his
external control system were to attempt to short-cycle the compressor,
I would hope most modern compressors would have time delays built in.
After all, there is always the momentary power outage for the HVAC
manufacturer to worry about.