Martin Angove

Default overlapping ring and radial 13A circuits

In message ,
"Owain" wrote:

"northern_relayer" wrote
Are you the OP formerly known as "the yorkshire dalesman"?
| That is because there is the possibility they may be used for
| outdoor equipment. Sockets which 'may' be used to power outdoor
| stuff MUST be RCD protected.
| that's what I understood, but if they are labelled 'indoor use by
| computer/hifi/Tv only' & the sockets are a different colour (eg
| yellow/blue/red) is that enough to make them 'not likely to be used
| outside?

I don't think it is. The colour of the socket is meaningless in terms of the
regulations and a 13A socket should be suitable for supplying any equipment
usually fitted with a 13A plug. This is why 13A sockets should not be fitted
to 6A lighting circuits for table lamps and the like.

The spirit of the regs is clearly to ensure that equipment used outdoors is
very likely to be plugged in to an RCD-protected outlet. If a dedicated
RCD-protected outlet marked 'for external equipment' is provided in
convenient places as required, that is likely to be used in preference to
any other and thus the reg will be satisfied, AIUI.

How about installing special sockets for the IT equipment so that you
have to fit different mains plugs? It doesn't matter then if they're
not RCD protected - it's a faff to set up, but you're not going to be
able to plug your drill in. This is commonly done in offices with
sockets which have differently shaped earth pins for example. I've used
some really good (though expensive) "Electrak" sockets in the past for a
similar application (making sure plebs didn't plug a kettle into a
circuit supplied by generator).

The only thing to watch is that any plug for connection into a standard
domestic circuit *must* be fused, so no using any of those nice European
"Shuko" types :-)

Can't find the Electrak in CPC - I'm sure they used to do them! RS do do
them, or did last time I had access to a catalogue, but I find their
website a pain in the backside so I'm not going to look for them now :-)

Just an idea...

Hwyl!

M.

--