Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Free electricity?

Well, very peculiar, as I'm certain I read that they have to install the
smart meter to give you this free function so they can monitor usage. Sounds
to me like you have fallen through some crack in the system somewhere and
I'd make enquiries sooner rather than later, as they will sting you
megabucks otherwise.
Which reminds me, EDF have already missed telling me about a meter reading
appointment, so I have two quarters outstanding now. Time to get a pointy
stick out with them I think.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Saturday, 12 November 2016 10:32:20 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
As I read it, you have to have both Gas and Electric from them and have
have a certain type of smart meter, and not have any of the economy
tariffs
like economy 7. In this case they can read your meter, but I still
understood you have to have a direct debit set up as any power used
before
this is priced at the standard default rate wh until that is actual up
and
running.

I have an old fashioned rotating disc electricity meter and there is no
way they can remotely read it. The only way they can charge me is if a
bloke turns up with a torch and clipboard, but I haven't seen one of those
for several years.