Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Downlights - Low Voltage to Mains rating

On Saturday, 12 November 2016 19:21:21 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
I have quite a few of these in my kitchen, used with 50W MR16 bulbs and
transformers (one per light):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HQ-Halogen...W/112184915408

and

http://www.free-instruction-manuals....f/p4734235.pdf

According to this they are rated 12v AC, and should only be used with
MR16 bulbs.

I would like to replace the transformers + bulbs with mains GU10 LED
bulbs instead.

Any reason why this shouldn't be done?

PS: they are a pretty old model (mine were bought 10+ years ago), and
are no longer available, so well before LED downlights became available.

The connector on an MR16 is different from a GU10. Assuming you can buy
the correct mains tails with the GU 10 connector, don't see why not.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I was going to replace the connectors
of course.

Connect the earth wire to the metal fitting, if it is metal. Ensure the wire joint can't be touched and is in a flame resistant container. Then you have class 1 mains fittings.

NT