Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Downlights - Low Voltage to Mains rating

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:02:21 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

JoeJoe wrote:

I have quite a few of these in my kitchen, used with 50W MR16 bulbs and
transformers (one per light):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HQ-Halogen...terproof-For-M
R16-Lamps-Max-50W/112184915408

and

http://www.free-instruction-manuals....f/p4734235.pdf

According to this they are rated 12v AC, and should only be used with
MR16 bulbs.

I would like to replace the transformers + bulbs with mains GU10 LED
bulbs instead.

Any reason why this shouldn't be done?

PS: they are a pretty old model (mine were bought 10+ years ago), and
are no longer available, so well before LED downlights became available.

I've done it with a similar but more elaborate MR16 12V halogen
downlight. There was a bit of bodging to replace the MR16 socket, which
was riveted to the frame, with a GU!0 socket (c/w heat resistant flying
leads - from Ebay) but as long as the chocolate block connector is
protected and fixed, with a cable clamp and a cover to avoid shock in
accordance with wiring regulations I see no problem with it.

For a very different use, I came across these (seem pretty well made,
considering the price):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-GU10-Mai...AOSwe7BWyec 6

There is a MR16-to-GU10 adapter but, given the MR16 socket, I don't like
that much weight with no restraint. T'other way round would be OK, as the
GU10 is quite a good socket.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away