Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default mag-lev-turntable

Jon Elson wrote:

http://www.avsforum.com/mag-lev-turntable/

Oh, boy! Did you see how HIGH they levitate the platter? Geez, I have
strong doubts it can be stable at that height. Also, the thing must have an
insanely strong external magnetic field.

Now, the only way I know one-sided levitation at low speeds can work is with
something that TOTALLY excludes flux lines, ie. a superconductor.

So, the only way this thing could work is with a spinning Halbach array
under the platter (which would play HELL with a magnetic phono cartridge) or
massive high-field magnets underneath and a room temperature superconductor
in the platter. Hmmm, can't buy that yet...

I know of no way to repel something ordinary with a steady magnetic field,
although with strong tapered AC fields, it is possible to repel a conductor.
I've seen this done with a big 3-phase AC motor stator and an aluminum
platter. But, the motor draws insane current and the platter gets hot fast.

** OK, my two cents worth:

The specs say the power consumption is only 12 watts - so static lift must be achieved with permanent magnets.

There are no claims made for W&F so it must be poor, mostly due to imperfect centring of the LP. There are no claims that it is a genuine, hi-fi turntable.

The platter wobbles and bounces for ages when disturbed, hence the use of support pegs when not running.

The lack of important details and the OTT marketing videos makes it all smell very badly of SCAM.

..... Phil