Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Storkamp Mark Storkamp is offline

Default mag-lev-turntable

In article ,
" wrote:

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 10:15:18 AM UTC-5, Mark Storkamp wrote:

let's see, how many things can go wrong here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/huq5ehstso...ation.docx?dl=
0

This is my wildly speculative speculation on how this system could work and
be effective. Some points:

a) Neodymium magnets are wildly powerful. And can be shaped more efficiently
than many other materials.
b) By offsetting the suspension rings as shown, the forces centering and
keeping the platter level would be very strong - certainly stronger than most
suspension springs for that matter.
c) And there would be negligible elastic forces - that is, no wobble or
bounce. That window fan would not have a chance. Damping, similarly.
d) The wow and flutter issue, though very real, would be pretty much
eliminated by the mass of the platter (considerable) coupled with the very
negligible mass of the drive motor.
e) As the platter is essentially frictionless, it would not take much to keep
it running once started. I would anticipate a few seconds of start-up, but
after that, gyroscopic effects would contribute to leveling and to speed
control. The couple of grams on the stylus, again, would not have a chance.
f) The soft shut-down is already addressed. There is an on-board soft
shut-down capacity that will raise the posts and lift the stylus.
g) As to magnetic fields - consider that both the suspension field and the
drive fields are static relative to each other. Meaning that there will be
very little generated by way of stray fields, and that the platter, if
properly designed, will be enough to shield the cartridge. Considering what
goes on inside my HK/Rabco without ill effect, or my Revox B295, this would
be low on my worry-scale.

Again, this is a neat trick, not something I intend to purchase. But a neat
trick that appears to be both possible and reasonable to execute.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Still seems like it would be a lot easier to use direct drive and air
bearings. But since it's already been done, there wouldn't be as much
money in it.