Default need bathtub drain repair advice

Post your question at www.plbg.com, far and away the best plumbing advice
site.

"Timothy Miller" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a one story house on a slab, on a flat lot, downscale, in
California, built in 1953, one bathroom, three BRs. The bathtub and
bathroom sink drains are more or less back to back with the kitchen sink
drain.

The bathtub drain probably wouldn't pass code today. I think there's too
little fall. It drains slowly, and periodically stops draining
altogether until cleaned out, either with enzyme drain cleaner or liquid
plumber.

The other day it stopped draining altogether. The usual measures didn't
seem to help. All the other drains in the house seem to be working. My
wife called the plumber while I was at work. He says he couldn't get his
snake down the bathtub overflow tube. He says the brass fitting has
corroded hopelessly, the tub has to come out, and then "he'll see what
kind of repairs are needed." He may be right, but I have a funny feeling
I don't trust this guy.

He said he "might try" to go in thru the back of the kitchen sink. It's
"not impossible" that he'll have to break out the old jackhammer.

When I remove the overflow cover and the drain basket, the brass does
not seem seriously corroded. (This stuff is supposed to resist
corrosion, isn't it?) The fitting is pretty loose in whatever it
connects to. I'd guess it's a compression fitting with some old
fashioned kind of putty or packing or something, but I don't really know.

I wonder if it's possible to put some kind of scope down the drain so I
can diagnose the problem without ripping the house apart.

Beyond that, I suppose this is a pretty common problem. Any suggestions
regarding diagnosis and treatment? There's a recession on. I just want
it to keep on working for a few more years, at minimum expense.

Thanks a bunch,

Tim Miller