Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default mag-lev-turntable

In article ,
wrote:

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 2:16:10 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
So is this for real, or a kickstarter designed to cheat me out of my
hard-earned money?

http://www.avsforum.com/mag-lev-turntable/

Brooklyn-Baltimore Guy

Probably For Real. Too much/many "other" sources and information out
there.

I didn't see that they cited the numbers of the patent(s) that they say
they have.

Interesting idea. One does wonder how the centering and leveling functions work. I can figure out how they handle rotation. A half-price for
pre-purchase is not a half-bad deal given it comes with an arm and cartridge.

The other trick which puzzles me, is how they keep the magnetic
levitation/centering/rotation field from being picked up by the
cartridge, or keeping the magnitude of the pick-up down below the
noise floor of the phono preamplifier.

Years ago, some of the Grado cartridges had a bad reputation for hum
when used with certain turntables - the stray fields from the AC
motors were picked up by the coils in the cartridge.