Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OTA TV reception problems

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 13:56:36 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Sunday, November 6, 2016 at 7:40:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I tried posting something about this in the past but got no response.

(...)
I wanted to include all the background information before this thread began. Lenny

I can see why you received no response. 357 lines of disorganized
ranting is difficult to parse. Please get organized and save readers
the effort of wading through your mess. Same as always:
1. What problem are you trying to solve? Keep it very simple.
2. What equipment do are you using? Numbers and details are good.
3. What have you done so far and what happened?

I'm busy for a few days and will hopefully do a path profile this
weekend. I don't know if I can squeeze much out of the path analysis
except that you might have some obstructions or Fresnel zone
diffraction problems. From the plots I previously posted, the
coverage of both stations look identical.

Did you do any of the substitution tests that I recommended? The best
test would be just the TV, a length of RG-6/u, and a simple 1/2 wave
(at 500MHz) dipole hund outside the window. No amps or splitters.

Did you run your address through TVfool.com to see what signal levels
they predict?

BTW, here are my coordinates: and although the topo maps said
different according to Google my altitude is 115 meters

Slight misunderstanding. I need the type of antenna you are using at
your house, and its elevation above ground level. You can save me
some trouble excavating the information from your archive by listing
everything (inclusive) between the antenna and the TV receiver.

465 Derry Rd, Chester, NH 03036, USA
Latitude: 42.930838 | Longitude: -71.281921

Thanks for using a decent (decimal degrees) format. I hate DMS.

From the FCC data, WBZ is at 42° 18' 37.00" N, 71° 14' 14.00" W
but in NAD27. Converting the FCC DMS to decimal and datum into WGS84:
(42.310278 N, -71.237222W) NAD27 - (42.31025 N, 71.23669 W) WGS84.
Antenna height above ground 387 meters (1270 ft).
Nice little monster tower:
http://www.necrat.us/bztower.html

Well, I have a few minutes I'll throw together a Google Earth path
profile. It won't be very accurate and won't show Freznel zones, but
will show any obstructions. Looks like drawing a 1270ft tower is
gonna be difficult, so I guessed:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/coverage/KBCZ-WBZ/WBZ-Lenny.jpg
If you have Google Earth, here's the PRELIMINARY KMZ file:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/coverage/KBCZ-WBZ/WBZ%20path.kmz
Looks like you have a rather large hill directly in the path and very
close to you. A 150ft or so tower at your end would be needed to
clear the hill.

Incidentally, I vaguely recall a similar OTA problem where one channel
was uncharacteristically low in receive signal. It turned out to be
an unterminated length of coax on a coaxial splitter. Even though the
splitter was suppose to have perhaps 20dB(?) of isolation between
ports, the device was so badly built that I'm sure it was much less.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/CATV-splitters.jpg
The unterminated length acted as a notch filter which just happened to
land on the TV channel frequency. Replacing the spllitter and
removing the coax or terminating it with 75 ohms solved the problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558