Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default New Car Battery

On 09/11/2016 07:22, Tim+ wrote:
Davey wrote:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 01:09:24 +0000
Bill Wright wrote:

You've done the customary simple test to make sure it is the battery
and not the charging circuity? Checked the battery terminals are
clean and tight? Checked the battery water (if not sealed)?

If it started the car on Saturday, but wouldn't on Tuesday, then I
agree that I would suspect the charging circuit rather than the battery.

It's actually very common for batteries to die suddenly. More common than
charging circuitry to go wrong in my experience.

Tim

Local Motor Factor sells three types of battery,
Bosch, 4 yr warranty and most expensive
???, 3 yr warranty, gives some warning of failure
???, 1 yr warranty and simply dies without warning
but is barely half the price of a Bosch.

IMHO you wont go far wrong going to a GM dealer and
getting a GM battery. They are no more expensive and
have the green indicator. The one I had in my Astra F
was still going string after 8 years.

A sudden nasty frost when it goes down to -3 will
finish off any battery that is close to end of life.

*Avoid* Halfords unless you are desperate.