Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default An LED question

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Spotlights sounds like one direction though. I'm looking at something
where the large ish globe is all evenly illuminated. My light perception
is what I'm after using having no focus any more spots would vanish if
viewed from other directions.

LEDs as such do tend to be approaching a point source and directional. The
'lens' on them may modify this.

To get a large even globe, you'd need a lot of them and a diffusing outer.

I've not seen any that look just like opaque globe tungsten - they tend to
have more of a hot spot. Tungsten of that type likely have a very long
filament which is why they are more delicate than GLS.

You can get them in globes. Although TBH I prefer the cheaper corn on
the cob types if I want something approximating omnidirectional.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown