Posted to uk.d-i-y
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default New Car Battery

On 10/11/2016 08:52, charles wrote:
In article , Muddymike
wrote:
On 09/11/2016 19:51, charles wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
On 08/11/2016 21:45, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Car needs a new battery (drove it Saturday, wouldn't start Tuesday)
Do I just key in the existing one into ebay and buy the cheapest, or
go into town to Halfords, or is there a better or cheaper battery?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Type-027-C...25.m3641.l6368

George

Dont trust Halfords. They sold an elderly neighbour a new battery, a
few days later that was also flat. The problem was a loose fan belt!

whats's that got to do with Halfords? they sell parts.

They also sell, fit, and claim to test batteries. But on this occasion
totally failed to test.

Were they asked to? and does "testing a battery" include testing whether
the charging circuit is working?

My point was don't trust Halfords to do anything other than what you
ask. If my neighbours had gone to a our local garage instead of Halfords
the battery, and whether it was receiving a charge, would have been
tested rather than simply selling them a battery assuming that an 72
year old lady had the knowledge to diagnose the fault.

The car had a less than two year old battery already!

Mike