Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_7_] Ian Jackson[_7_] is offline

Default New Car Battery

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Davey wrote:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 01:09:24 +0000
Bill Wright wrote:

You've done the customary simple test to make sure it is the battery
and not the charging circuity? Checked the battery terminals are
clean and tight? Checked the battery water (if not sealed)?

If it started the car on Saturday, but wouldn't on Tuesday, then I
agree that I would suspect the charging circuit rather than the battery.

Remember starting my car normally and driving to the shops. After shopping
and going to the cinema - say about 3 hours, battery totally flat. And it
was just the battery knackered.

At one time a battery would usually give warning before failing. This one
didn't.

This happened to my wife. Fortunately, I and my set of jump-leads were
only 10 minutes away.

For 'insurance', I nearly always carry a set of jump-leads - and they
have indeed come in handy in the same post-shopping scenario, when on
returning to my car, I've come across someone with a totally dead
battery.
--
Ian