Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Pathetic

On 08-Nov-16 2:55 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 09:27:29 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

Cows are not nasty.

Depends upon the breed. I would not worry too much about Herefords or
Aberdeen Angus, unless they had young or there was a dog around. I would
avoid Limousin or Charolais at any time. British breeds are generally
much better acclimatised to human contact than continental breeds and
dairy cattle are usually safer than beef cattle. Nevertheless, cows can
and do kill people.

I always understood it was Dairy Cattle who could be the more lairy,
certainly our Devon Reds always seemed more gentler than the Freiseins
that came along later...

I'm going by what a vet told me, while she was batting Highland cattle
out of our way on a footpath, many years ago. She told me that, because
they have to be milked, dairy cows are more familiar with human contact
and are, therefore, less wary of humans. Also, over the centuries,
British cattle have been bred to be more docile than most of the
continental breeds.

Colin Bignell